Why Join NATS?
NATS members are a community of friends and colleagues all seeking the same goal: excellence in teaching and singing, both for themselves and their students.
To join NATS: visit https://www.nats.org/nats-membership.html or contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Scope: NATS is the largest association of teachers of singing in the world, with members in more than thirty-five countries.
- Education: Members have access to lifelong learning experiences such as master classes, workshops, and conferences, held at the district, regional, and national levels.
- Journal of Singing: NATS members receive the leading academic journal on the voice, Journal of Singing, as a benefit of membership. Published five times annually, this scholarly journal features articles on all aspects of singing and the teaching of singing, written by distinguished scholars from around the world.
- Student Auditions: One of the benefits widely enjoyed by NATS members* is the privilege of taking students to annual state and regional auditions and biennial national competitions, where they may sing for a panel of teachers and receive positive comments and feedback on their work as singers and performers.
- Employment Opportunities: Members have access to an online database of positions currently available at colleges and universities across the United States and Canada. In addition, members may place their contact information on the Find-a-Teacher database, accessed regularly by students seeking private voice teachers in their areas.
- Networking: NATS has more than 6,800 members who teach in a wide variety of settings. Most NATS teachers are active in performance as well, and have invaluable contacts in the professional worlds of both singing and teaching. Members may access contact information for any other members through the online directory.
- Support for Young/New Teachers of Singing: NATS recognizes an ongoing commitment to support and encourage the development of teachers of singing who are beginning their careers. To that end, qualified members* may apply for the NATS Intern Program (an intensive summer course wherein the recipient teaches students under the direction of several master teachers), the EMERGING LEADER AWARD (a grant to underwrite the cost of attendance to one of the NATS national conferences) and/or the JOAN FREY BOYTIM AWARD FOR INDEPENDENT TEACHERS (an award of up to $1,000 in reimbursement assistance to cover the costs associated with NATS national conference attendance).
- Intermezzo E-newsletter: The Intermezzo e-newsletter, a weekly compilation of news clips about the singing profession, is delivered to each member’s inbox.
- Inter Nos: A semiannual publication that is delivered in February and September. Inter Nos is a newsletter for the profession that provides important information about the work of NATS to its members. A major feature of each Inter Nos is the “Independent Voices” section, which is focused on the work of independent teachers.
- NATS Chat: NATS Chats are live online real-time discussions for voice teachers and singers. Topics vary widely and have included classical and non-classical vocal technique, vocal repertoire, teaching strategies, business strategies for private studio teachers, resources for university teachers, and arts advocacy. Guests have included prominent teachers, authors, composers, and artists. Your host for NATS Chats is Dr. Kari Ragan, Puget Sound Chapter NATS member.
- Exclusive Facebook Group interaction with fellow NATS members: NATS members have exclusive access to a NATS members-only Facebook group for discussion and conversation with colleagues, students and other voice professionals from around the world.